Saturday, September 27, 2008

“Waitin’ on Toyota to Finish Changin’ My Oil” pie

You might be wondering why my poll this month is about pie. I recently watched the movie Waitress with Keri Russell and got a real hankering for pie. (I know this movie is at least two years old but it just now made it to the top of my Netflix queue.)

Russell’s character works at Joe’s Pie Diner (owned by Andy Griffith playing Joe) and invents wonderful pie creations with fantastically descriptive names like “Bad Baby” pie or “Earl Murders Me Because I'm Having An Affair Pie” pie. The flick is well done and easy on the eyes if you like small-town stories with a little bit o’ drama and a happy ending. It’ll also make you crave pie.

I don’t want to just eat pie, I want to bake pie. I learned a lot about making homemade pies from my grandmother who makes me a lemon meringue pie every time I come to visit. She used to live in Pearland with a Meyer Lemon tree in the backyard. That’s a rare treat. Meyer lemons are sweeter than your average lemon and have a smooth skin.

The first pie I ever baked all on my own was a mincemeat pie. (Traditionally made with a mixture of chopped dried fruit, distilled spirits, spices, and sometimes beef or venison) Not everyone’s favorite pie, mind you, but when you are competing for the “Daughter-in-law” of the year award you bake what’s ordered. The crust was beautiful; made from scratch with a hand-sculpted, scalloped edge. I’ll be honest with you, the filling was from a jar (gasp!) but for a first-timer it turned out pretty and only one person was going to eat it anyway. I will hereby name this pie “Daughter-in-Law of the Year Trophy Winning” pie.

My next pie endeavor was a no-bake key lime pie but that’s kind of cheating. It tasted great but really only involved heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, and frozen lime concentrate. I did expertly craft the crust by smashing a plastic bag full of graham crackers to smithereens. Let’s name this pie “I Got Lots of Help from the Grocery Store” pie.

My next pie creation will be the winner of my pie poll. (Wouldn’t it be more appropriate if it was a pie chart? haha) I vow to make every bit of it from scratch and even wear an apron if I have to. I’ll be sure to let you know how it turns out. I’m famous for trippin’ the smoke alarm when I’m in the kitchen (once when I was making mashed potatoes, of all things) so it could go either way…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boo la la, tis the season to try the ever so tasty pumpkin cream pie. Ill have to send you the script! Jess

liminalityandversucher said...

ok, I voted for apple but it was sort of a toss up between apple and pecan, can I vote twice? I'd probably be a lot more invested in the electoral process though if I were in any position to try some of it. I might have to walk down the street to the bakery now for some carrot cake or something.

Amanda Chumchal said...

I have a good recipe for a crunchy caramel, apple pie. I will have to send it to you to try. A friend of mine gave it to me. I am impressed with your pie skills. I haven't truly tackled homemade pie crust yet.

That Austin Girl said...

Lacey!!! Is it you?

PS - I adore that movie so much. "Bad Baby Pie." Hahaha. :)

Andrew Kennedy said...

No matter what the results of the pie poll, I'm requesting Key Lime pie just for me! Maybe I'll let Aaron have one piece.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...