Monday, April 6, 2009

Something I've Been Meaning to Do

I consider myself an avid reader and am usually reading at least one book for pleasure most of the time. I've been meaning to review several of these for you but just couldn't commit to the daunting task of a full-fledged book review. Consider these the "lite" version of Lacy's Book Reviews. I hope you try at least one of them.

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks by E. Lockhart -- This story is for all those of you who ever sent away for brochures to East coast boarding schools in high school because you were bored and college just couldn't come fast enough. (Was I the only one who did that?)

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn -- This is a fantastically silly story about a girl who lives on an island and writes letters back and forth to her friends on the mainland. Her letter-writing takes a challenging turn when the island government begins banning the use of certain letters in the alphabet!

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling -- Old school style fables from the world of Harry Potter. My personal favorites are "Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump" and "The Tale of the Three Brothers." Super quick read I highly recommend for your next weekend holiday.

Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy -- If you loved the movie with Chris O'Donnell like I did, you'll love the book more. My good friend Maeve (I've read LOTS of her stuff) is a fabulous storyteller and weaves what seems like dozens of storylines into one cohesive narrative. The book looks gigantic but it's a page turner.

Atonement by Ian McEwan -- I enjoyed the movie a lot and wish I had read the book first. Good story with several great snippets of language. The book will be more suspenseful if you don't watch the movie first. (If you don't want to read the book at all, I recommend the movie simply for the eye candy that is James McAvoy.)

3 comments:

Laura Essendine said...

Maeve is just wonderful. I don't think I've ever read a bad book of hers and am only sad that I've finished them all.

Some other Brits you make like in a similar vein are Rosamunde Pilcher, Judith Lennox and Penny Vincenzi.

Happy reading!

Laura Essendine
The Accidental Guru Blog

Kelly said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Frankie!

jessica said...

Okay- Ella Minnow Pea will have to be read. I will have to gift it to Melinda too since she is moving out here. Ironic really! Always a joy reading your blog!! Jj

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...