Wednesday, October 28, 2009

To give or not to give?

For the last two and a half weeks, the company I work for has been sponsoring a giving campaign. It's nothing new, an annual thing, and is about finding something your passionate about and supporting it.

So what am I passionate about and why do I give?

Why not? I have very few needs and wants that are not met and that is a true blessing. I give so other people can have that experience. I don't give to any particular organization, I, somewhat selfishly, just give to those that interest me. For example, this year I gave to the Austin chapter of March of Dimes because I gave birth to premature twins in July. It took me several weeks to admit they were premature, NICU-stay and all, because I didn't want to be lumped into the "premature" group. But the fact of the matter is, my babies were 6 weeks premature and MoD is doing something to prevent that. I want to thank them for that.

My reasons for giving are fluid and often change and that's OK. Here's a list of organizations I gave to last year and why:The point is, you don't have to have a logical or obvious reason for wanting to give to an organization. For me, it's just a feeling or an association that makes me think, they are doing good things, I'll support them.

Now, what exactly do I give? Money? In-kind donations? Time? The truth is, people often want to give their time because they don't have enough dollars but the time it takes to give dollars is way less than the time it takes to paint a room or clean up a playground. I just spent less than 5 minutes pledging my 2010 gift AND requesting that my company match it. While I would like to say I spent personal time and sweat to help the organization, I didn't. And my gift was much smaller this year due to some recent family medical bills. But it was still a gift.

I choose to give, no matter how small the gift. Because like my premature babies who started out weighing 5 lbs. 0 oz., and 4 lbs. 11 oz., I know that small gifts grow. I hope you find something you can give a little to today.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...