Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Next Generation of Bookworms

As a kid, I wiled away hours in my room with my nose in a book. I read lots of things and went through significant, more focused periods. Like the years I spent reading anything related to girls and horses. Or the summer I read books related to space flight like October Sky, Apollo 13, and Flying to the Moon. Then there were the memorable tomes related to the search for Amelia Earhart, the history of Nancy Drew, and the Forrest Gump duo (did YOU know there was a sequel?).

In college and graduate school, I turned my focus to war novels, specifically from the Vietnam War era. Books like The Things They Carried, Dispatches, and A Rumor of War are both chilling and unbelievably moving.

As an adult, I have added to my growing list of favorites with books such as Ella Minnow Pea, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks, The Flying Troutmans, and of course the wizarding world of Harry Potter. If you ask me what my favorite book ever has been, I will choose The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank. I highly recommend it.

Now, to the point of this post. As you know, Apple recently released the iPad and with it, they released the capabilty for book-related Apps that I think will excite young readers endlessly.Have you seen this video of Alice in Wonderland for the iPad?



Were the App-makers purposely trying to launch the next great tool for parents and teachers who struggle to get their kids reading? Probably not, at least, that wasn't priority numero uno. But I hope they add more books to the Apple library because I think it can only get better from here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...