Thursday, May 13, 2010

My Secret Desire to Learn to Play the Banjo

In terms of musical talent, I wouldn't rank myself up there with Pavarotti or The Edge or even Beyonce. I would say I'm more on the level of the first American Idol castoff of the season or your neighborhood kid forced to take piano lessons. (a 3-year graduate myself and all I have to show for it is Yankee Doodle.)

Despite these obvious setbacks, something in me has always wanted to learn to play the Banjo. Why? Well...do I really need a valid reason? I mean, my friend Crystal has joined a curling league and curls every Sunday morning so does one really need to explain their quirky extracurricular activities? I think not.

The banjo is round, country, a string instrument. I just think it would be fun. Here are two examples to help you understand:



And if funnyman Steve Martin can do it, I'm on the bandwagon.

1 comment:

onhilstreet.com said...

I think this is a noble goal! The banjo can never play sad, depressing music - only joyful, uplifting music!

My grandfather was friends with a banjo maker, Mr. C.C. Richelieu. He made banjos in Wisconsin.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...